Pages

23.8.09

A Little Girl's Pain


I needed you to hold me
Mold me
Show me how to be.
I am a small reflection of you.
Did you ever love me?

I needed you not to tear me down,
But build my esteem.
Judging me pound for pound,
Wishing I was lean.

I needed you to be a little more assertive,
And take me from my dad.
Who dressed me and treated me
As the son he didn't have.

I needed more berets and dainty lace socks,
Along with skirts to replace tube socks.

I needed you to show me how girls dress,
Maybe I wouldn't have worn so many sweats.
To teach me to be comfortable with myself,
Talk to me about the feelings of growing up you felt.

I needed less perms, rollers and hair pressin',
Come to my games support your investment.

I needed your approval not your expectations,
I needed not your temper but your patience.

Show me how to wash and love my body,
Tell me what's a cycle and explain it's not naughty.

I needed you to validate my feelings,
Help me define who I am.
Let me cry be by my side,
Just plain ole give a damn!

o.n.e.i.
copyright 2001

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow....very powerful. I wrote something to this effect in regards to what I needed from daddy...I will pull it out and share it with you....Chevonne